Recent Posts

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Everything old is new again...


     A couple of weeks ago, Mike and I went to the Arkansas Literary Festival and attended a session about publishing an eBook.  I heard a few things about “today’s reader” that frustrated me, but, as Mike often reminds me, we have to keep up with a certain amount of technology.
     A “hold in your hands” book is still my favorite, although I must admit having a Nook that is self-lit comes in very handy when I wake up for no good reason in the middle of the night. 
     E-publishing is no-frills, which I really don’t like.  There is no way to know what electronic reader someone may be using, so the careful formatting of acknowledgement and dedication pages is not worth the time.  I opened Broken Road on one particular reader and my dedication page is split between two pages, with the second page showing the very last line of the dedication.  It looked really stupid.  But that’s hard cheese because “today’s reader” wants to get to the story as quickly as possible.
     So, long story short (I know; too late), we have completely revamped Broken Road. We cut four pages out of what used to be the first two chapters.  Those first two chapters are now the first six chapters. Evidently, “today’s reader” prefers shorter chapters as well.  I decided I might as well just go whole hog and printed the cover on a lighter paper.  I loved the red background, but it seemed to muddle the drawing.
     And now, the big hurrah.  We will be offering the new, upgraded Broken Road on Mother’s day for $0.99.  Yep, that was the biggie we took away from that session on epublishing.  Drop the dang price…and honestly, at this point, I really want folks to read this thing. 
     We’ll see how it goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know your thoughts on our blog posts!