Recent Posts

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Read yourself a story...


I “published” Broken Road in November 2011.  Mike and I had been through it together and separately more than ten times.  We had whipped that puppy into shape…or so we thought.  I currently have four versions of the book sitting on my desk.  The first three have major typos and continuity errors; the fourth has no continuity errors, but still has typos.

Two weeks ago, I decided that Broken Road needed a massive slash-and-trash edit.  I cut three and a half pages out of the first two chapters.  Then I decided to read it aloud to myself.

You would not believe how many more typos I have found.  Reading aloud has to be the best ever tool for editing a written work.  Not only do you catch all those pesky mistakes that your brain doesn’t even register when you read silently, but you’ll have a better idea of how good your book is when you hear it out loud.

So, I reckon I’ll have one more version of Broken Road.  By the way, it’s a really good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know your thoughts on our blog posts!